Do you know what LookSafe is?
LookSafe is a potentially unwanted application that may also be considered a browser hijacker, because it modifies your browser settings and your DNS settings. This program affects Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer web browsers. LookSafe is promoted as a tool that can help you avoid potential threats online. However, the program can end up exposing you to unwanted and even suspicious content. You need to remove LookSafe from your computer to make sure that no unwanted programs or infections enter the system.
This program does not enter your computer silently. It has a Setup wizard and you are told about all the implications of having LookSafe on your PC. You can read more on the the application at looksafe.com. The website claims that the “Internet can be a dangerous place” and the LookSafe is there “to help make it safe”. The tool is presented as a useful application that offers protection from the most common risks, including malware and phishing websites, browser hijackers and tracking cookies. It also says that LookSafe enhances your DNS infrastructure, but the truth is that it changes preferred DNS to 184.108.40.206 and the alternative DNS to 220.127.116.11.
What is more, if you skip several setup steps, you will miss the opportunity to opt out of browser settings modification. During one of the LookSafe installation steps, you are asked whether you want to set looksafesearch.com as your default homepage and search engine. This website is powered by yahoo.com and it is not an independent search engine.
Apart from being distributed via official website, LookSafe is also up for download on a number of third party file hosting websites, such as Softonic, Lo4d, Software Informer and so on. Downloading application from a third party hosting page may result in unwanted programs entering the system, because freeware apps are often bundled together. In such a case, you will need to remove unwanted programs via Control Panel.
LookSafe, on the other hand, cannot be removed through Control Panel, because it does not leave any entry on the list of installed programs. Therefore, you can restore your browser settings if your homepage was changed, but to get rid of LookSafe for good and restore your DNS settings, you should consider investing in a reliable antispyware tool that would terminate all the suspicious files and restore your settings automatically. Not to mention, that by acquiring a powerful computer security application you will be able to protect your system from similar intrusions in the future.
How to restore browser settings
- Press Alt+T and click Internet options.
- Change your homepage under General tab and press OK.
- Press Alt+T again and go to Manage add-ons.
- Select Search providers on the left.
- Set a new default search engine and remove looksafesearch.com.
- Click the search engine icon on the left of search box (top right corner).
- Select Manage search engines on the drop-down menu.
- Remove looksafesearch.com from the list and click OK.
- Press the orange Firefox button and go to Options.
- Change your homepage address under General tab and click OK.
- Press Alt+F and click Settings.
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages under On Startup.
- Click Set Pages.
- Change your startup page address and click OK.
- Press Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, delete looksafesearch.com and press Done.
In non-techie terms:
LookSafe is a tool that may perform unwanted changes on your computer. Undesirable changes might lead to various security risks, so it is for the best to remove LookSafe and other unwanted programs from your computer as soon as possible.