Stop warning message popups when you startup your PC
(applies to Windows 2000 and Windows XP)
Do you get a warning message every time you startup your computer? The warning message may be from a program that you uninstalled but it is still attempting to run. Maybe you uninstalled a hardware device and your system is still looking for that device giving you an error message when your PC starts up. You can stop the error messages by following the registry edit steps below.
- Open your registry editor by going to Start Menu > Run > type in regedit click OK
- Find the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows using the folders on the left pane.
- Once you have located this path look for an entry called NoPopUpsOnBoot If you see this entry listed then skip the next step.
- Add the entry NoPopUpsOnBoot by right clicking an open area below the listed entries and then select NEW > DWORD value. Type in NoPopUpsOnBoot and press ENTER.
- Set the value of the NoPopUpsOnBoot entry to 1 by double clicking the NoPopUpsOnBoot entry and entering a 1 in the Value data field. Click OK.
- Create another new DWORD value entry called Error Mode and set the Value data field to either a 0 or 1 or 2 according to the key below:
Error Mode key:
0 = No Error Suppression
1 = Suppress System Errors
2 = Suppress All Errors
- Close the Registry Editor and Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.