Customize your Default New Mail Notification Sound Setting
The bland New Mail Message Sound has become very old and users want to change it to something more personalized. If you are not able to specify the sound you want when a new message is received you must edit the registry value for a new message. If your control panel sound setting for a new message no longer registers the sound file it is set for you can follow the steps below to get it working again.
- Open your registry editor by going to Start Menu > Run > type in regedit
- Find the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\MailBeep\.Current using the folders on the left pane.
- Once you have located this path look for the (Default) entry.
- Double click the (Default) entry.
- Set the Value data to the path of the .wav sound file that you would like to use. (ie: c:\windows\beep.wav or %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Notify.wav)
- Click OK
- Close the registry editor
You can now test out the New Mail Notification sound by waiting for a new mail message. Your PC may require restarting.